Roasted carrots and chickpeas seasoned with za’atar and served over Greek yogurt with lemony kale makes a wonderful side dish or meatless main!
Roasted Carrots and Chickpeas seasoned with za’atar and served over Greek yogurt with lemony kale makes a wonderful side dish or meatless main!
Ready In: 1 hour
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
- 16 small heirloom baby carrots, about 16 oz total (wash, dry and trim the stems)
- 15 oz canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tspZa’atar spice blend
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- pinch fresh black pepper, to taste
- 1 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 bunch kale, preferably lacinato, ribs removed and discarded (2 1/2 oz total without ribs)
- 1/2 Tbsp freshly squeeze lemon juice
- 2 CStonyfield Organic Whole Milk Plain Greek Yogurt
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a large sheet pan with olive oil.
Drain chickpeas in a colander, or salad spinner, and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Let them dry completely.
Place carrots and chickpeas on the prepared sheet pan and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, Za’atar, salt, and black pepper.
Bake until the carrots are crisp-tender and browned, about 40 to 45 minutes, turning halfway.
While they are cooking, slice the kale into 1/4-inch thin ribbons and place in a large bowl. Toss with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Massage the kale with your hands for about 1 to 2 minutes, until soft.
In 4 shallow bowls, swoosh 1/2 cup yogurt in the bottom of each.
While the carrots are still hot, transfer over the yogurt and season with more salt and lemon zest.
Scatter the chickpeas over each dish and drizzle the remaining oil, top with kale and crumbled feta.