Brown rice fusilli can be a fantastic, whole-grain and gluten-free substitute for traditional pasta, especially when bearing the right sauce, like this remarkably tasty pumpkin seed and spinach pesto.
Ready In: 30 mins
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 15 mins
Yields: 6 Servings
- 1/2 lb of brown rice gluten-free fusilli (cook according to package instructions)
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 c unsalted hulled green pumpkin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 c grated Parmesan + extra for garnish
- 1 c spinach (cleaned and coarsely cut)
- 4 scallions (chopped)
- 3 T lemon juice
- 1 c Stonyfield Organic Whole Milk Plain Yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a heavy sauté pan over moderate heat. Add pumpkin seeds, salt and pepper. Stir constantly for about 4 minutes. Add garlic and stir for another minute. Transfer to a plate.
In a food processor add the seed mixture, parmesan, spinach, scallions and remaining oil and blend. Transfer this mixture to a bowl and add lemon juice, yogurt, and salt and pepper to taste.
Toss cooked pasta with yogurt mixture and then plate. Garnish with parmesan.