Here's macaroni and cheese the way we like it in the Hirshberg home: extra creamy and gooey, with pecorino and blue cheeses adding a bite. This version's also made with healthier whole-wheat pasta and about half the fat of most mac 'n' cheese dishes.
Ready In: 50 mins
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 45 mins
Yields: 10 Servings
- 1 lb whole-wheat elbow macaroni (cooked al dente)
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 2 T all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c Stonyfield Organic 1% Milk
- 1 t dry mustard
- 1 T Dijon
- 2 t sea salt
- 2 t fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 c grated sharp cheddar
- 6 oz Pecorino cheese (grated)
- 3 oz blue cheese or Gorgonzola (optional, crumbled )
- 2 c Stonyfield Organic Whole Milk Plain Yogurt
Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare macaroni according to package instructions. In a medium sauce pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and stir until the mixture thickens and adheres to the pan. Add milk, mustard, Dijon, paprika, salt and pepper. Continue to stir until the sauce has thickened. Remove from heat. Add cheeses and yogurt.
Mix yogurt mixture with pasta and pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown on top.