This scrumptious dish and side dish offer a sophisticated complexity of sweet and spicy tastes, the hearty nutrition of meat, fruit, vegetables and dairy, and no gluten.
Ready In: 10 hrs
Prep: 8 hrs
Cook: 2 hrs
Yields: 6 Servings
- 1 1/2 lb pork shoulder (cut into 1' cubes)
- 1/2 T ginger garlic paste *
- 1 t turmeric
- 2 t salt
- 9 peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 star anise
- 2 t honey
- 3 T soy sauce
- * (2 cloves garlic, 1/2' ginger, 1 teaspoon vegetable oil. Blended to paste)
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 4 dried chilies
- 10 curry leaves (found at Asian markets)
- 2 green chilies (split)
- 2 medium red onion (sliced)
- 4 c broccoli (cut into florets and stem diced into cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lime (juice only)
- 1/2 c Stonyfield Organic Low Fat Plain Yogurt
- 1 small bunch cilantro (cleaned and picked)
- 1 Granny Smith apple (cored and finely chopped)
- 2 c fennel (diced finely)
- 1 t fennel seeds (lightly toasted in dry pan)
- 2 c Stonyfield Organic Greek Plain Yogurt
- 1 t honey
Apple and Fennel Raita
Place cubes of pork in a large dish. Add ginger, garlic paste, turmeric, salt, peppercorns, bay leaves, star anise, honey and soy sauce. Marinate overnight.
After pork has been marinated, transfer them to heavy based pan. Add enough water to cover and cook on low heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until meat is falling apart.
While pork is in the oven, mix all Apple and Fennel Raita ingredients together and chill until needed.
Drain pork and reserve liquid. Set aside. Heat oil in a wok or large sauté pan. When oil is smoking, add red chilies, stir until darkened. Add curry leaves stir for 30 seconds. Add green chilies and red onion, stir for 2-3 minutes. Add broccoli, stir for 3 minutes. Add cooked pork and stir for 3-4 minutes. Add next the lime juice. Add 2-4 tablespoons of cooking liquid from pork. Fold in yogurt and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve stir fry on a plate and garnish with cilantro. Place dollop of Apple and Fennel Raita as your side dish.