Apple Salad with Walnut-balsamic Dressing
A distinctive salad with an array of flavors and texture. Every bite is different- tart apples, sweet raisins and sugared walnuts, and the salty and pungent taste of blue cheese served over crisp arugula.
- 2 large granny smith or cortland apples (diced*)
- 3 T lemon juice
- 1 c golden raisins
- 1/2 c thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 c crumbled blue cheese
- 2 t fresh rosemary (minced)
- 3/4 c chopped walnuts
- 1 ds cinnamon (optional)
- 1 t powdered sugar
- 1 c fresh arugula leaves (or other salad greens)
- 3/4 c Stonyfield Organic Low Fat Blueberry Yogurt
- 3 T toasted walnut oil
- 1 T balsamic vinegar (add more to taste)
- 2 t crumbled blue cheese
- 1 t honey
- 1/2 t whole-grain mustard
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
Calories: 540, Calories from Fat: 270, Total Fat: 31g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 310mg, Total Carbohydrate: 61g, Dietary Fiber: 7g, Sugars: 51g, Protein: 11g, Vitamin A: 8%, Vitamin C: 20%, Calcium: 25%, Iron: 10%
In a medium bowl, combine apples and fresh lemon juice and toss until apples are well coated (this prevents the apples from browning). Add raisins, onions, blue cheese, and minced rosemary leaves.
In a small skillet over medium heat, toast walnuts until golden brown. Remove from heat and add powdered sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a blender, combine all of the dressing ingredients. Pulse until a smooth consistency is obtained. Pour the dressing over the apple mixture and toss. Divide the arugula evenly between four plates. Top with apple mixture and garnish with sugared walnuts.