Choose your favorite sausage, and get cooking! The aroma will have the whole family flocking, and this hearty, nutritious stew will satisfy and comfort on the coldest of nights.
Ready In: 1 hr 20 mins
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 1 hr
Yields: 8 Servings
- 2 c small French green lentils (picked over and rinsed)
- 1 lb chicken (turkey or pork sausage, cut into 3/4' slices)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 medium-size onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 medium-size acorn squash (peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2' pieces)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 c vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 c chopped kale
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1 T boiling water
- 1 c Stonyfield Organic Greek Plain Nonfat Yogurt
- 1/4 t salt
Saffron Yogurt Cream
Combine lentils and 4 cups water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 17 to 20 minutes or until softened; drain lentils and set aside.
Carefully wipe out saucepan and place over medium-high heat. Add sausage to saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until browned. Lower heat to medium and add olive oil, onions, and garlic to pot and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in acorn squash and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and bay leaf; bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes.
Add 2 cups stock, kale and salt and pepper to taste. Add additional stock by the 1/2 cupful for a thinner consistency, if desired. Bring to a simmer; cover and cook for about 15 minutes. Stir reserved lentils into saucepan and cook over low heat for 5 minutes to warm through.
Meanwhile, place saffron in a medium-size bowl and add boiling water; steep for 5 minutes. Stir yogurt and salt into saffron mixture. Top each serving of stew with a dollop of the saffron yogurt cream.