Root Vegetable Egg Strata
This dish lends itself to entertaining. Since it needs to be prepared ahead of time you can make it the day before and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. Be creative with your ingredients; try it with your favorite cheese, vegetables and meats or with what you have on hand.
- 2 medium sized turnip (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 2 fennel bulbs (diced)
- 2 leeks (chopped fine and washed well)
- 8 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 T butter or non-stick spray
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 c Stonyfield Organic Whole Milk
- 2 c Stonyfield Organic Whole Milk Plain Greek Yogurt
- 6 c bread cubes (day old French bread works best)
- 2 c shredded Gruyere cheese
Preheat oven 350°.
Spray or butter soufflé dish (5 inches deep and 10 inches in diameter) or 9"x13" pan.
Toss turnip, fennel, and leeks in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Roast for 15 minutes.
In the meantime mix together eggs, milk, and yogurt add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Add a single layer of 3 cups bread cubes in the bottom of soufflé dish.
Add 1/2 of root vegetables and then 1/2 of the Gruyere.
Add the rest of the root vegetables; remaining 3 cups of bread. Then pour egg mixture over bread topping and top with the remaining Gruyere.
To help the egg mixture absorb better, poke holes through the top of the dish.
Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
Bake for 40 minutes.