Prep Time: 10 MINUTES
Cook Time: 35 MINUTES
- 1⁄4 cup coconut oil
- 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh, cut into cubes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp pepper
- 1 jar store-bought tomato salsa
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp Stonyfield Organic Greek plain Whole Milk yogurt (sour cream replacement)
- 1 tsp scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- Warm half of the coconut oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the tempeh and brown on all sides, 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove tempeh and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to a Dutch oven pot. Add the onion and garlic, cover, and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring often, until the onion starts to soften. Reduce to a low heat.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, until well mixed and fragrant. Add your pre-cooked tempeh and stir to coat with spices. Stir in the jar of salsa, fire roasted tomatoes, broth, and beans to the Dutch oven and stir until coated.
- Bring just to a simmer; do not boil. Continue to simmer and stir occasionally until beans are heated through and all ingredients are combined well, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Garnish the servings of chili with the Stonyfield yogurt and scallions.
Want delicious recipe ideas in your inbox?
Sign up for our newsletter to get recipe ideas in your inbox!