Prep Time: 1 HOUR
Serves: 24 SERVINGS
Cook Time: 45 MINUTES
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 package dry yeast
- 1 cup Stonyfield Organic Low Fat Plain Yogurt (warmed to room temperature)
- 3 Tbsp wheat germ
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp corn meal
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tbsp water
- Combine warm water and dry yeast, allow to sit for 15 minutes so that yeast may 'bloom'.
- Add yogurt, wheat germ, rye flour, all-purpose flour and salt into the yeast mixture.
- Using a mixer (equipped with a dough hook) mix all ingredients until dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
- Allow dough to rest for 10 minutes, then knead again, this time kneading in the fennel seeds.
- Place dough in a well-oiled bowl, and allow to double in size.
- Cut dough into halves, form into loaves and cut an 'x' in the top of loaves.
- Bake on baking sheets that have been dusted with cornmeal at 350°for 45 minutes.
- Half way through the baking process, apply glaze to the surface of the loaves.
- Once loaves are golden-brown, remove rye bread from the oven and cool.
Want delicious recipe ideas in your inbox?
Sign up for our newsletter to get recipe ideas in your inbox!