Prep Time: 20 MINUTES
Cook Time: 40 MINUTES
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 3/4 cups sugar (divided)
- 6 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 3/4 cups Stonyfield Organic Whole Milk Vanilla Yogurt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- butter cream frosting
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 2 9-inch cake pans. In large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl beat butter with electric mixer or hand mixer for 1-2 minutes until soft. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups of sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Separate eggs and add one egg yolk one at a time to wet ingredients mixing constantly (reserve egg whites in a separate bowl). Add vanilla extract and coconut. With mixer on low, alternate adding the dry ingredients and yogurt to batter.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar to egg whites and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup of sugar. With a spatula fold egg whites into batter.
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool before frosting. Frost with your favorite butter cream frosting and garnish with 2 cups of unsweetened coconut.
Want delicious recipe ideas in your inbox?
Sign up for our newsletter to get recipe ideas in your inbox!