advocating for our earth SINCE 1983
Being founded (and grounded) in our mission to create a healthier planet drives us to advocate for our earth, everyday. We believe in progress over perfection and are delighted that others have followed in our footsteps. As we continue on this fight we welcome you to stand up with us.
- Stonyfield is born
- First US manufacturer to offset all greenhouse gas emissions from facility energy use - and we still do!
- Released Stonyfield Environmental Cookbook with recipes to reverse global warming
- Installed NH’s largest Photovoltaic Solar Panel Array (the largest to date at the time!)
- Converted wastewater into biogas in an onsite wastewater treatment system
- Launched Climate Counts, a non-profit organization bringing consumers and companies together to fight climate change
- Opened new green building, designed to use 40% less energy than an average office
- Created mini-billboards on cups. 200M+ lids produced with environmental messaging
- Received the EPA Clean Air Excellence Award
- Published Stirring It Up by Gary Hirshberg
- Launched Greener Cow Project to reduce methane created by cow burps
- Joined BICEP (Businesses for Innovative Climate and Energy Policy) to advocate for a competitive, low-carbon economic future
- Introduced the first yogurt cup made from plants with our YoBaby and Kids cups
- Began measuring life-cycle emissions of our products in real time
- Started sending excess yogurt whey to farmers for animal feed
- Forged partnership with Wolfe’s Neck Center for Agriculture and the Environment
- Kicked-off Stonyfield’s Direct Milk Supply Program in our own New England backyard
- Signed on in support of the Paris Climate Accord with other supporting companies
- Supported effort to push the EPA for higher fuel efficiency standards for heavy trucks.
- Became B Corp certified: Stonyfield scores a 92 upon being certified.
- Stonyfielders joined the Climate March in Concord NH
- Shared Stonyfield’s start on NPR’s popular podcast How I Built This.
- Stonyfield declares We Are Still In!
- Launched StonyFIELDS, Stonyfield starts working with communities across America to make all fields organic by stopping the use of harmful pesticides on playing fields.
- Committed to a science-based climate goal to reduce our carbon footprint by 30% by 2030.
- Helped launch OpenTEAM, a partnership and new software platform to enable farmers to improve soil health and help fight climate change
- Called on Washington to create jobs and recover from the economic impact of Covid-19 through a transition to a cleaner, more resilient economy. We also donated over a million products to front-line workers of the pandemic.
- Received the Climate Collaborative’s Award for Outstanding Company of the Year
- Helped launch the Organic Trade Association’s Climate Change Task Force to build awareness of the benefits organic agriculture offers on addressing climate change
- Committed to 100% renewable energy at our Londonderry, NH, manufacturing facility and 100% renewable electricity on our dairy supply chain by 2025.
- Committed to a carbon positive dairy supply chain by 2030
- Launched the Toxins Calculator with The Organic Center and Organic Valley providing an easy-to-digest breakdown of how impactful organic dairy farming practices are on the environment.