Bread puddings are often sweet desserts, but this one is a savory side dish made with nutty cheeses, parsnips and mushrooms.
Ready In: 1 hr 5 mins
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 1 hr
Yields: 8 Servings
- 1 lb of crusty French or sourdough bread (cut in 1/2' cubes)
- 3 c Stonyfield Organic Low Fat Plain Yogurt
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 c shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 lb parsnips (peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 lb mushrooms (crimini, portabella or porcini brown mushrooms, cleaned and sliced)
- 1/4 c shallots (chopped)
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- 1/2 t thyme
- 1 c vegetable stock
Preheat oven to 375°. Spray 9x11 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Place bread cubes in a large bowl, set aside.
In a bowl, whisk together yogurt, eggs, and cheese, set aside. In a sauté pan heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add parsnips and cook for 5 minutes constantly stirring. Add mushrooms, shallots, salt, pepper, and thyme and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Cover with vegetable stock and reduce heat and simmer for 5 more minutes.
Pour vegetable mixture over bread cubes. Fold yogurt mixture in bread cube mixture. Press into baking dish and bake in hot oven for 45-50 minutes.