Oh, Spring…That time of year when you don’t know whether to pull out the light shoes that don’t have heavy soles, or well rain boots. The layers start to melt out of your closet like the snowbanks that block your current parking spot at home, and it’s a glorious feeling. Know what else will give you that same glorious feeling? These adorable deviled eggs. Regardless of whether you are celebrating Spring holidays or just the fact that it is indeed Spring – these fun, bright and tasty appetizers will knock your taste buds right out of the partially muddy partially dried baseball park.
Cut the eggs in half (lengthwise) and remove the yolks.
Place yolks in a bowl and mash with a fork.
Add yogurt, mustard, vinegar and lemon juice and mix well.
Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
Stuff egg halves with the yolk mixture and garnish with paprika.
1. Cut eggs in half; place upside down on either a bed of lettuce or microgreens. We chose to use microgreens as they felt light and spring-like.
2. Use whole cloves for mice eyes and noses. Make sure to remove before they are eaten!
3. Using small radishes, cut small & thin slices; cut in half for ear shapes.
4. Using a knife, cut slices into the eggs and place the radish wedges into the slits.
5. To make the tail, cut and place pieces of chives on the back side of the egg. Either using a knife or toothpick, make a slit to place the chive into.
1. Using boiled eggs, cut the base off the end of each egg. This will help them stand up on their own on the platter.
2. Use whole cloves for the rooster’s eyes. Make sure to remove before they are eaten!
3. Using a vegetable peeler, slice carrots. Cut small triangles out for the beak. Cut slits to place the carrot wedge into.
4. Reserve and use some of the thinly sliced carrot slices for the comb of the rooster; the slices are essentially rectangular slices. Cut three connected triangles and use this for the top of the rooster’s head. *Sample diagram attached
5. Cut a slice down the middle and place the carrot slice into the opening.