Summer is in full swing and the longer, sunnier, warmer days may inspire changes in your eating and cooking preferences. Being so nice out and full of opportunities to get outside and be with family, summer is not the time for elaborate meals that require stoves and ovens because 1.) It’s already hot! And 2.) Who wants to spend the time on an hour and a half recipe when there are about a million other things you could be doing??
For these reasons, salads are the virtual holy grail of summertime meals. No cooking (unless one desires to add a meat or cook certain veggies, in which case there is the grill, another beloved summer stalwart) and as easy as cleaning and chopping whatever produce your heart desires. Salads are prime opportunities to utilize fresh, in-season offerings that spring up in abundance all around us and are a foolproof way to ensure your family is getting in several servings of fruits and vegetables.
So we’ve established that salads are a cool, crunchy, colorful, tasty summertime superstar, but sometimes they have the potential to become markedly less wholesome. This is due to salad’s BFF… salad dressing. Unfortunately, many store-bought dressings might be loaded with bad fats and sugars, sending the calorie count of your lovingly prepared meal skyrocketing.
So now you may be thinking, “Should I just forgo it altogether?” No way! Most dressings (in addition to any toppings like avocados, nuts, and cheeses) contain fats that help unleash your salad’s full health potential! The key is finding a dressing that you feel good about feeding your family. Or, in the case of some of our lovely bloggers, making one!
These dressings are all healthy redo’s of your all-time favorite dressings (made with Stonyfield Organic non-fat Greek yogurt of course). They’re quick, easy, and come together with a few familiar ingredients:
Creamy Greek Salad Dressing – bursting with the flavors of feta and dill, this dressing pairs perfectly with the traditional greek salad.
- Creamy Cilantro Yogurt Dressing – In addition to salad, Stonyfield Clean Plate Club member Sarah Bates recommends using this as a dip for bell peppers and cucumbers!
- Creamy Avocado Yogurt Dressing – Step up your taco salad game… or any food game, for that matter. Avocado does that to things.
- Honey Mustard Salad Dressing – it’s hard to improve on this classic flavor, but yogurt steps it up with an extra delicious tang!
- Greek Yogurt Creamy Italian Dressing – A tasty way to switch up this popular flavor, which is typically oil and vinegar based.
- Creamy Balsamic Dressing – Sometimes straight balsamic vinegar can be a bit overpowering. Yogurt is the perfect base to showcase the balsamic flavor without overdoing it!
- Buttermilk Herb Dressing – creamy, tangy, herby… what more could you ask for to drizzle on your favorite greens?
- Chipotle Ranch Dressing – original ranch can be a little played out. Shake things up with this zesty variation.
- Zippy Summer Dressing – delight in the unexpected kick this dressing delivers… from sriracha!
- Creamy Berry Balsamic Dressing – One more delicious way to use up those delicious strawberries (or blueberries, or raspberries!) that are overflowing from cartons at farmer’s markets in the summer months.