Plant Packaging Engineer
We aren’t just yogurt on a mission; we're people on a mission.
Stonyfield is an organic pioneer. We believe socially responsible business can change the world, and that organic is better for people and the planet’s health. We passionately lead a better way to make food for healthy people and a healthy planet and our employees are at the centerpiece of this mission.
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Plant Packaging Engineer is responsible for leading a broad array of packaging projects through Industrial/Operational implementation including addressing quality and cost saving opportunities to improve package performance, implementing business and technical initiatives into both company and co-pack manufacturing facilities while meeting both our short term and long term company goals related to sustainable packaging.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Evaluate, develop and implement structural packaging designs and materials to ensure they provide the barrier protection required to ensure the integrity, quality and safety of the product, including shipping integrity throughout the distribution chain
- Responsible for all aspects of food safety and quality as defined in plant and department procedures
- Lead the development, evaluation and implementation of innovative packaging designs and materials, from concept through launch working with Project Manager to help organize trials and new product start-ups at the plant level
- Implement opportunities to optimize our existing packaging systems and potential innovations to transform our packaging
- Implement and address technical solutions to primary packaging, corrugate (case material), and pallet configurations from manufacturing through the distribution chain
- Lead manufacturing line testing and evaluation of new packages, corrugate and pallet configurations as part of the project teams including as plant owner for trial management and industrial homologation
- Interface with all levels of management concerning packaging functions and programs
- Provide training to corporate and plant personnel as needed
- Report to the VP of R&D on the current status of any issues related to package design and execution
- Provide support and information to any department of Stonyfield: Marketing, Logistics, Manufacturing, Natural Resources, Supplier Development, QC and Corporate QA
- Identifies risks/opportunities on projects impacting production
- Maintain a safe work environment
- Other tasks as assigned
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Packaging Materials/Packaging Engineering from an accredited institution or the equivalent combination of experience and education.
- 5-10 years’ experience in Packaging Development R&D working in a food production organization
- Experience in sustainable packaging and design for the environment preferred
- Mathematics proficiency in using algebraic expressions
- Strong computer skills including experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate to all levels of the organization, including the ability to present business information in a group setting
- Ability to take direction and work independently
- Ability to follow procedures to detail and work under pressure
- Ability to adapt in a fast-paced, changing work environment
- Must be flexible with work schedule as projects and circumstances necessitate
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines within specified time constraints
- Ability to operate in a team environment
Stonyfield is an equal employment opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against applicants with regard to any legally-recognized basis including, but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, and physical or mental disability.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference "Plant Packaging Engineer" in the subject line.