Farmer Relationship Manager
We aren’t just yogurt on a mission; we're people on a mission.
The Farmer Relationship Manager is responsible for supporting activities of Stonyfield’s Milk Sourcing Initiative, a program focused on growing organic dairy production in the Northeast to supply milk to Stonyfield’s production facility in Londonderry, New Hampshire. This position is primarily responsible for managing relationships with organic dairy producers and supporting overall program administration and implementation, including recruiting, contract management, FARMS evaluations, and contributing to the program’s metrics of success. Location for this new position is Londonderry, NH, or negotiable, and the role will involve frequent travel especially throughout New England.
- Responsible for all aspects of food safety and quality as defined in plant and department procedures.
- Serve as primary point of contact for farmers
- Work with Director of Milk Sourcing and Procurement, as well as contracted 3rd parties to manage and administer the technical assistance (TA) program that offers participating farmers access to individualized TA services to improve farmer profitability and sustainability
- Partner with the Director of Milk Sourcing and Procurement to identify and cultivate relationships with prospective farmers who fit Stonyfield’s direct milk supply sourcing criteria
- Lead farmer contracts through Stonyfield legal review and approval
- Liaison with plant’s milk scheduling and receiving teams as needed to make adjustments when routes and delivery times change
- Perform administrative functions to support program, including process new vendor set-ups, track spend, and develop and track key performance indicators.
- Provide regular progress updates to the milk sourcing team and leadership on recruitment efforts, TA program development and implementation, and overall direct milk sourcing program.
- Contribute to delivery of overall organic milk supply strategy as an active participant on internal milk sourcing team dedicated to milk quality, on-farm sustainability, cost performance, and service level
- Actively seek opportunities to preserve existing organic dairies and spur growth of organic dairy in the Northeast
- Lead Stonyfield participation in the National FARM program and assist in working with other third parties that interface with our producers, i.e. Organic and Non GMO certification agencies
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field from an accredited institution (animal science, agronomy, dairy nutrition, etc.) or the equivalent combination of experience and education
- Minimum 3 years work experience directly with farmers, or direct experience working on or operating dairy farm
- Strong knowledge of organic dairy production systems, including National Organic Program standards, pasture-based management, forage quality, soil health, cow comfort, costs of production, and effective business management practices
- Knowledgeable about or ability to quickly develop strong understanding of keys to successful transition from conventional to organic dairy and recognize the value in organic
- Deep understanding of Northeast agricultural landscape, or ability to translate relevant experience from outside the region and quickly develop regional understanding and network of contacts
- Strong networking skills and credibility among peers
- Strong project management skills
- Enthusiasm for frequent travel throughout the Northeast (New England plus NY)
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines within specified time constraints
- Ability to operate in a team environment
- Ability to adapt in a changing work environment
Stonyfield is an equal employment opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against applicants with regard to any legally-recognized basis including, but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, and physical or mental disability.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference "Farmer Relationship Manager" in the subject line.