We aren’t just yogurt on a mission; we're people on a mission.
Stonyfield is an organic pioneer. We believe socially responsible business can change the world, and that organic is better for people and the planet’s health. We passionately lead a better way to make food for healthy people and a healthy planet and our employees are at the centerpiece of this mission.
POSITION OVERVIEW: Assist with the negotiation and drafting of a myriad of commercial contracts as well as support internal business teams on transactions and projects requiring legal advice and counsel. Work closely with the General Counsel in reviewing, improving, developing, and implementing legal and compliance processes, procedures and training. Assist with compliance and regulatory matters. Assist with the management of intellectual property portfolio, including clearance, registration and maintenance of Stonyfield’s trademarks/service marks. Must be able to handle effectively a diverse range of duties and responsibilities while exercising initiative and independent judgment in a fast-paced environment.
The successful candidate will be joining a collegial, motivated team environment. The position offers significant, client contact and immediate hands-on responsibility working closely with legal and business teams.
Key Accountabilities:Contract Management
- Work closely with internal business teams (e.g., Marketing) and external teams (vendors and customers) to ensure that all contracts are properly reviewed, signed, executed/tracked, and filed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Facilitate contract negotiation process, including: detailed review of contracts from business and legal perspective, facilitation of status updates, communications and coordination between teams to establish process improvements as needed for efficient contracts routing and signature.
- Provide assistance with contract language for both business and legal terms.
- Summarize all deviations to standard, company-approved terms for review and approval by the General Counsel and Chief Operating Officer.
- Develop, maintain, and report on contract department metrics, and continuously improve metrics reporting and outcomes.
- Update and maintain contracts management database system.
- Coordinate and distribute relevant contract information to appropriate internal teams as needed.
- Assist relevant Sourcing & Supplier Development managers and General Accounting with the performance of periodic audits of customer order or supplier Purchase Orders to approved contract terms to ensure adherence to contractual terminology.
- Provide contracts report for interim and end of year audit and as needed.
Trademark and Promotions Management
- Assist with the management of intellectual property portfolio, including clearance, registration and maintenance of Stonyfield’s trademarks/service marks.
- Review and provide guidance regarding use of trademarks on product packaging and advertising to ensure compliance with applicable laws and standards and minimize infringement risks.
- Assist with the operation and management of various marketing and public relations coupons offers and other promotions, including sweepstakes and contests.
- Assist in reviewing, improving, developing, and implementing legal and compliance processes, procedures and training.
- Assist with compliance and regulatory matters.
- Conduct legal research and analysis as needed.
- Perform other duties, including administrative duties, as assigned and needed.
- Limited business travel.
Ideal Candidate Will:
- Have a Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school.
- Be currently admitted to the bar as an active member in good standing in at least one jurisdiction within the United States.
- 5-8 years of relevant commercial contract transactional experience. Experience can be from a combination of large law firm and/or in-house experience.
- Active and in good standing bar membership in New Hampshire.
- Knowledge of food and consumer goods industries.
- Knowledge of FDA promotional, advertising and labeling requirements surrounding food products.
- Knowledge of advertising law.
- Must have initiative, be able to work independently and exercise good judgment.
- Ability to identify and analyze legal issues and develop and effectively communicate sound advice.
- Ability to be creative and solution oriented.
- Ability to provide practical advice within applicable legal framework.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Acute attention to detail and ability to manage several projects multi-task.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines within specified time constraints.
- Ability to operate in multi-functional teams and fast-paced environment.
- Exemplary work ethic.
- Commitment to continuous improvement, company mission and values, training, and continued education on changing laws and regulations.
- Extensive computer knowledge, preferably in Windows environment.
- Expert user of Microsoft Word. Proficient user of Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to safely lift 20 lbs.
- Ability to bend and reach files and cabinets where records are stored.
- Ability to operate computer routinely throughout the work day.
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
Stonyfield is an equal employment opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against applicants with regard to any legally-recognized basis including, but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, and physical or mental disability.
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and reference "Corporate Counsel" in the subject line.