Organic foods are third-party certified to comply with strict USDA organic regulations. All of Stonyfield’s products are certified organic by Quality Assurance International (QAI). Under USDA regulations, there are four categories of organic product labeling:
Products labeled “100% Organic” must contain 100% organic ingredients.
Products labeled “Organic” must contain a minimum of 95% organic ingredients, and the remaining 5% must comply with certain restrictions, including no genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
Products labeled “Made with Organic Ingredients” must contain a minimum of 70% organic ingredients, and the remaining 30% must comply with certain restrictions, including no GMOs.
Products with less than 70% organic ingredients may list organic ingredients on the package’s side panel, but may not make any organic claim on the front of the package.
All Stonyfield products are certified organic
You may wonder why our products are labeled “organic” and not “100% organic.” It’s because a small amount of our ingredients (5% or less) aren’t organic, because organic versions of these ingredients aren’t available in sufficient quantity, quality or form.
Even the tiny amounts of non-organic ingredients we use must comply with USDA restrictions in how they were grown: they cannot be produced with the use of genetic modification, sewage sludge or irradiation.