Veggie & Fish Bake
This traditional English dish shows that the British know a thing or two about warming comfort foods. Pair it with a salad to make it a complete meal.
- 5 large potatoes (peeled and cut into 1' pieces)
- 2 c Stonyfield Organic Low Fat Plain Yogurt
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 carrot (finely chopped)
- 2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 t English mustard
- 1 lemon (just juice)
- 1 pn fresh nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 c spinach (blanched and drained with any excess moisture squeezed out)
- 1 lb haddock or cod fillets (skinned, boned and cut lengthwise into strips)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (peeled and quartered)
Calories: 430, Calories from Fat: 120, Total Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 125mg, Sodium: 380mg, Total Carbohydrate: 48g, Dietary Fiber: 6g, Sugars: 7g, Protein: 30g, Vitamin A: 190%, Vitamin C: 60%, Calcium: 45%, Iron: 25%
Heat oven to 350°.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes to pot and cook for 10 minutes or until tender; drain. Return potatoes to pot and add 1/2 cup of the yogurt, the nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Mash until mixture is smooth and well blended; set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and carrots to pan and cook, stirring often, for about 8 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl, combine onion mixture with remaining 1 1/2 cups yogurt, the cheddar, parsley, mustard and lemon juice.
Layer spinach over bottom of a 9' x 13' baking dish, then place fish strips and eggs evenly on top. Spread onion mixture over spinach layer, then layer mashed potatoes over top of onions. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until potato topping is golden.