- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour (plus additional for dusting)
- 1 c pitted dates (chopped)
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 c light brown sugar
- 5 T Stonyfield Organic Plain Lowfat Yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 c unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 c light brown sugar
- 2 T Stonyfield Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/3 c Stonyfield Organic Plain Whole Milk Yogurt
- Stonyfield Organic Gotta Have Vanilla Frozen Yogurt (if desired)
Heat oven to 350°. Coat a 9-inch cake pan with nonstick cooking spray then dust with flour; set aside.
Cover half of dates with 1/2 cup very hot water; soak for 5 minutes, Drain dates, reserving liquid. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
Pulse remaining dates and brown sugar in a food processor until blended. Add reserved hot water, softened dates, yogurt, eggs and vanilla and pulse until well blended.
Stir date mixture into flour mixture. Pour batter into cake pan and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack; cool 10 minutes. Run a thin knife around cake pan and remove cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in sugar and heavy cream and cook for 3 minutes, or until well blended. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in yogurt. Drizzle cake with sauce and serve remaining sauce alongside.