- 4 c reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium onion (quartered)
- 2 jalapeno peppers (seeded and quartered)
- 8 cloves garlic (crushed and peeled)
- 3 T finely grated Meyer lemon zest*
- 1/2 t cumin seeds
- 1 4-inch cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 lb raw shrimp (26-30 per pound, peeled and deveined)
- 3 T Meyer lemon juice*
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 c Stonyfield Organic Plain Greek Nonfat Yogurt
- hot sauce (optional, 1/4 teaspoon or to taste )
- 1/2 c fresh cilantro (chopped)
In a large stock pot, bring broth, onion, jalapeños, garlic, lemon zest, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and cloves to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and continue to simmer for 20 minutes. Strain the broth and discard solids.
Return the broth to the stock pot and bring to a low simmer. Add shrimp, lemon juice, salt and hot sauce. Cook until the shrimp are pink and firm, about 3 minutes. In a separate bowl, temper yogurt by adding a couple tablespoons of warm soup at a time and stirring until the yogurt is warmed through. Mix the warm yogurt into the soup. Add cilantro and stir.
*We recommend Meyer lemon for its distinct sweet, tart, floral taste. If Meyer lemon is not available, use 2 tablespoons of regular lemon juice plus 1 tablespoon orange juice and the zest from regular lemons.
Serving Size: 323.47, Calories: 140, Calories from Fat: 15, Total Fat: 1.5g, Total Fat Percent: 2%, Cholesterol: 115mg, Cholesterol Percent: 38%, Sodium: 380mg, Sodium Percent: 16%, Total Carbohydrate: 8g, Total Carbohydrate Percent: 3%, Dietary Fiber: 1g, Dietary Fiber Percent: 4%, Sugars: 4g, Protein: 22g, Vitamin A: 6%, Vitamin C: 25%, Calcium: 10%, Iron: 15%