Bruschetta of Cannellini Beans over Yogurt Cheese
A delightful and easy recipe that can be served as an appetizer or side dish.
- 1 medium red onion (thinly sliced)
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 4 slices country bread (toasted and brushed with olive oil)
- 1 t red wine or champagne vinegar (optional)
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 c canned cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 c fresh flat Italian parsley (chopped)
1 q Stonyfield Organic Low Fat Plain Yogurt (to yield 1 cup yogurt cheese*)
Calories: 330, Calories from Fat: 90, Total Fat: 1.5g, Cholesterol: 5mg, Sodium: 240mg, Total Carbohydrate: 50g, Dietary Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 9g, Protein: 15g
*For Yogurt Cheese: Using a yogurt cheese maker or layered cheese cloth, strain the whey from 1 quart of yogurt for 3-6 hours in the refrigerator. This should yield 1 cup of yogurt cheese.
In a bowl toss together the beans, onions, parsley, oil, vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Toast bread and brush with extra-virgin olive oil.
Spread yogurt cheese onto each slice of toast and spoon the bean salad on top, divided equally.
Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and serve.