What they do
Eliminate waste and maximize recovery of materials.
- Achieve a ≥90% overall recycling rate in the Stonyfield plant and office by the end of 2011.
- Reduce solid waste per ton by 25% by 2012 (from 2009 levels).
- To have zero waste (no waste going to a landfill or incinerator) by 2017.
Meet the team
The team consists of a cross-functional group representing Engineering, Natural Resources, Shipping, Warehouse, Quality, Supply Chain, Production, and Material Handling.
- Making significant reductions in solid waste and increased reuse and recycling.
- Working with our waste hauler to conduct annual waste audits of our trash.
Sample of accomplishments & results
- Recycling rate up 24% since 2006.
- Improved logistics and tracking of recycling program.
- Revamped recycling bins, signage, and training for all employees.
- Performed waste audits for all functional areas of the plant.
- Added new recycling streams.
- Recycling and reuse on average save us $150,000 per year.
- Trash per ton product reduced 62% (from 2007 to 2010).