Transportation & Distribution
What they do
Develop best practices to minimize emissions from the transportation of finished product.
- Reduce our normalized greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions (from the 2006 baseline):
- 50% by 2010
- 75% by 2015
- Reduce our absolute GHG emissions (from the 2006 baseline) by 40% by 2014.
“Normalized” means amount of GHG emissions per unit of yogurt delivered. “Absolute” means total GHG emissions.
Meet the team
The team consists of a cross-functional group representing Supply Chain & Logistics, Natural Resources, Sales, and Marketing.
- Focusing on improved efficiency.
- Looking at shipping more by rail.
- Using the latest and greatest technology, including alternative fuels and equipment.
- Hosting annual “Logistics Summits” to bring together transportation industry leaders to share best practices.
- Working with freight companies, our Sales team, and customers to find innovative ways to reduce transportation GHG emissions.
Sample of accomplishments & results
- Reduced our absolute CO2 emissions by 46% (between 2006–2010) while growing our business. That’s equivalent to taking over 7,000 cars off the road for a year!
- Found ways to ship the same amount of product to the same network of customers while using far fewer trucks and traveling far fewer miles.
- Equipped regional trucks with on-board computers that regulate top speeds to operate trucks more efficiently and help drivers improve their fuel efficiency.
- Received a 2008 Clean Air Excellence Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, specifically for our efforts to decrease GHG emissions from our transportation and logistics operations.
- Saved over $7.6M (2006-2010).