Stonyfield Walking Our Talk (SWOT)
What they do
Conduct all Stonyfield events, activities, and purchases in a manner that is consistent with the company’s mission and values, including environmental sustainability, employee health, sustainable agriculture, and social responsibility.
Because the team has seven working groups, there are numerous goals. Here are a few:
- By 2011, eliminate 70% of the junk mail (from 2008 levels).
- By 2012, all onsite events will be zero waste.
- By 2013, all food served at Stonyfield will be organic and healthy.
Meet the team
The team consists of representatives from Community Marketing, Consumer Relations, Creative Services, Human Resources, Natural Resources, Safety, and Sales.
The team has seven working groups, shown below, which focus on various impact areas throughout the company like reducing waste and the amount of “stuff” we buy, encouraging reuse of materials within the company, promoting employee health, and improving the quality of premiums in our Visitors Center.
- Travel & Fuel
- Food & Catering
- Clothing, Premiums, & Gifts
- Trash, Compost, & Recycling
Sample of accomplishments & results
This team has achieved dozens of big and small successes, including:
- Eliminated 315 junk-mail catalogs.
- Switched from 30% to 100% recycled content copier paper.
- Created our own Green Meeting and Event Guidelines.
- Screening new and old Creative Services vendors based on environmental practices.
- Purchased smaller, paper-saving business cards.
- Switched to perc-free dry cleaning (perchloroethylene is the toxic petroleum-based solvent used in most dry-cleaning facilities).
- Offer organic coffee and sugar in break rooms.
- Incorporated environmental practices into new business travel policy.
- Created “Global Warming Center” at Visitors Center.
- Engage suppliers to improve green offerings.