One of my favorite memories of my childhood was spending time with my grandmother at her house in Cape Cod. Not only did we have the beach and penny candy but we also enjoyed copious amounts of Grammy’s cinnamon rolls. She’d be up early in her powder-covered apron baking up some delicious breakfast treat every morning we were there. When I was younger I’d happily get my hands dirty and help her out. She taught me everything I know about baking/cooking and to this day I really treasure the quality time that just the two of us spent together.
Later on when I was a teenager she was on her own for the early morning baking sessions and the smell of her baked goods would waft (intentionally) toward mine and my sisters bedroom, as it was, on most occasions the only way to get us out of bed. We needed our beauty rest, those high bangs, and pant cuffs did not do themselves! You needed energy!
I miss my Grammy often and will obsessively think about the comfort foods that make me feel like she’s still here. One of those, of course being cinnamon rolls! I knew I had to have them and I knew I had to have them ASAP. I started thinking about how I could incorporate our yogurt and make them, dare I say a little lighter? Grammy came from the Julia Child school of thought where there was no way you could have too much butter in any given recipe. So I enlisted the help of some friends and I give you (drum roll please)…. Stonyfield Greek Cinnamon rolls with a Petite Crème icing.
I know the recipe seems lengthy but I promise it’s pretty easy once you get going. Grab your kids/grandkids to help out and build your own glorious cinnamon roll memories they’ll cherish for a lifetime.
2 cups flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsps baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup Stonyfield Plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tsps Stonyfield butter, melted
1/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
4 tbsp walnuts, finely chopped (optional)
1 tsp cinnamon (a little more if you wish)
1. Spray a 9 inch baking pan and preheat oven to 425°F.
2. In a small bowl mix the filling ingredients together, mixing well.
3. In large bowl combine the sugar, flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
4. Add yogurt and oil, mix well together until you have formed a dough.
5. On a lightly floured surface knead the dough 8-10 times.
6. Roll the dough out to a 8″ x 10″ rectangle.
7. Brush dough with butter and sprinkle the filling evenly over the dough.
8. Roll up jelly roll fashion, pinch seam to seal.
9. Cut into 8-12, 1-inch pieces ( I did 8 for larger rolls)
10. Place rolls slightly touching in the prepared baking pan.
11. Bake for approx 17 minutes or until golden.
12. Place on wire rack for 10 minutes.
13. Drizzle with icing and serve warm!
1 Cup Stonyfield Plain Greek Yogurt or Stonyfield Plain and Simple Petite Creme (I used a combo of both)
1 Cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
1. In a bowl whisk together the yogurt, sugar, and vanilla.
2. Drizzle on hot cinnamon rolls