There is even more to value coming from Greece than the invention of Greek yogurt today! This week begins a unique blog series on The Buzz promoting change toward healthy people and a healthy planet. Stonyfield is sponsoring the “Healthy Agriculture, Healthy Nutrition & Healthy People” conference in Ancient Olympia, Greece today through October 8th, and we have a team of experts on the ground ready to share their insights and key learnings.
The Greek health summit (organized by The Center for Genetics, Nutrition, and Health (CGNH)) will focus on how the world can use nutrition and sustainable agriculture to prevent diseases such as obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and cancer, and reduce the health impact of climate change. The conference brings together physicians, nutritionists, environmentalists, agricultural scientists, architects, policy makers, and company leaders from all over the world.
“The best nutritional choice for human health is also the best environmental choice for planetary health,” Gary Hirshberg, our CE-Yo says. “How governments can shape agricultural policy to support this is one of the critical questions this conference will cover.”
Another highlight of the event will be a poster session and discussion about the Stonyfield Greener Cow Project – our pilot program, which found that feeding cows a diet rich in omega-3 improves the nutritional value of the milk and reduces greenhouse gas emissions from the cows.
With so many amazing individuals gathered, and such an important wealth of knowledge and discussions to be had, we enlisted five experts to blog for us from the conference. Over the next week, we’ll hear from:
- Dr. Peter Sears, a member of America’s first family of pediatricians.
- Kate Geagan, MS, RD, America’s green nutritionist, author of Go Green Get Lean: Trim Your Waistline with the Ultimate Low-Carbon Footprint Diet and a columnist for Pregnancy Magazine. (And also the mother of two tots.)
- Bonnie Taub-Dix, MA, RD, CDN, a blogger for USAToday.com and a regular contributor to MCNBC.com, Bonnie is the author of the just–released Read It Before You Eat It blog on USA Today.com
- Wood Turner, is the Executive Director of Climate Counts, a collaborative effort to bring consumers and companies together in the fight against global climate change. Founder of the Climate Counts Industry Innovators Program, Wood blogs at http://blog.climatecounts.org/2010 and on Huffington Post Green
- Dr. Silvia Abel-Caines DVM, PhD, Veterinarian and Ruminant Nutritionist for Organic Valley. Expertise in sustainable dairy production and milk fatty acid alteration