Over six states, 298 miles, and one epic, organic Oikos-fueled adventure, there are more moments worth a Top Ten list than any blog post can consume. But, here’s our attempt at capturing the Epic Man team’s journey from Portland, Maine to the Finish Line of the Boston Marathon.
Epic Man Top Ten
10. A full moon to light the way – Although there were rain showers during the overnight bike to the start line of the Marathon, riding into a clear midnight sky provides the team with needed relief, clarity, beauty, and peace of mind.
9. Reach a goal, keep on going – Epic Man Team member Justin runs 13 miles of the Boston Marathon after an overnight bike ride…when he wasn’t planning on running at all.
8. Personal bests – In his third year of the Epic Man Adventure, Will sets a personal best in the Marathon…even after 24 hours of polar plunges, soaking rain, and flat tires.
7. Support crews, funny hats, latin dance, and cowbells—What’s the point of an Epic Adventure if you don’t get in a giggle or eighty along the way? An epic sense of humor was key to the success of this challenge. So, here we are…goggles required.
6. Plan B – Choppy seas kept the Team from being able to safely attempt the kayak leg as planned, but no fear! Something epic had to be done, and what better option than a Polar Plunge in the frigid April Maine ocean?
5. High fives—Abundant and sincere, more high fives are given during the Epic Man Adventure than any other event in human history, probably.
4. Side-by-side – Brothers Seth and Tyler Bradbury not only cross the finish line of the Boston Marathon together (collective awwwww), but they run that sucker in 3:09! That is super fast, especially when you spent last night on a bicycle seat.
3. Solidarity – Varying goals, speeds, and abilities doesn’t separate this team of Epic Adventurers. Whether pounding pavement up heartbreak hill, shouting encouragement all night from a support car, or cheering each member through to the Finish, they are in it together.
2. Inspiration – Being epic is not just physically challenging yourself, it also means giving back to those that inspire you. Money and awareness raised for deserving charities adds more good to an already great thing.
1. New goals – After achieving and exceeding goals during the Epic Man Adventure, the Team is ready to set the agenda and bring on new Epic Man Team members for 2012. No rest for the Epic.
Congratulations to all the Epic Man members and the runners who joined them along the way. Thank you to all who entered our Be Epic competition (winner announcement soon!) and to all who support the Epic causes. And best of luck to all of our organic Oikos inspired individuals in your next Epic adventure.
Which organic Oikos will you reach for to celebrate?